Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Christian or Disciple?


This morning I had coffee with a friend and former pastor of mine.

We talked about the brokenness in the world, attractional vs. missional church, conversations we've had about God, and the resurrection.

We could have talked all day long.  At the end of our conversation, I felt a glimmer of hope that genuine change is possible.  Change that reaches beyond me.

Call me naive but I'm starting to believe that God wants to transform my community.  And transformation happens best when Christians aren't involved. 

That's right.  I said "when Christians aren't involved". 

I don't think God is looking for Christians.  He's looking for disciples (thanks to Dallas Willard and his book The Great Omission for that thought).  Am I a Christian or a disciple?  In other words, do I simply associate myself with Jesus or am I actively becoming like Jesus.

I don't think it's enough for me to say "I'm with Jesus".  I need to be able to say "I'm like Jesus".  Being with Him doesn't demand anything of me.  Being like Him requires my all. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails