Sunday, February 15, 2009

Reflections on being busy


Currently, I've got a couple of Eugene Peterson books on my reading list. 

The other day, while reading, The Contemplative Pastor: Returning to the art of spiritual direction, I was convicted.

He writes:

"But the word busy is the symptom not of commitment but of betrayal.  It is not devotion but defection.  The adjective busy set as a modifier to pastor should be to our ears like adulterous to characterize a wife or embezzling to describe a banker.  It is an outrageous scandal, a blasphemous affront." The Contemplative Pastor, 27.

Being busy makes me feel important.  It can also be a smokescreen for a commitment I don't want to make.

Sadly, I'd rather say "I'm too busy," than tell the truth.

For me, being busy means:

1.  I haven't managed my time well, or
2.  I haven't said "no" to life's non-essentials. 

I need to make some changes.

1 comment:

Anne said...

The way you think is great..

Related Posts with Thumbnails