Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Theology for 4-year-olds


I tucked my 2 favorite little people into bed tonight.

I read Shawna the story about Abram telling the Egyptians that Sarai wasn't his wife.  We talked about lying; and about how God takes care of us, even when we're afraid to do the right thing; and about not marrying your sibling.

I told Elijah the story of Jesus washing the disciples stinky, sweaty, poo-caked feet.  We talked about how that job was reserved for servants/slaves.  And we talked about how the most powerful person in the world volunteered to do the lowest job in the world.

And as I talked I got excited.  And I could tell that Elijah was getting excited too.

And after my theologizing was over he cut in the question that had been rolling around in his mind since the beginning of my homily, "Dad, where did the dinosaurs come from?"

I'm glad people don't ask questions after my Sunday morning sermon.

2 comments:

Luke said...

LOL
but then again, you might want people to ask questions becuse then they might continue to think about for more than 30 seconds after you were done...

LSWD said...

I loved it! Kids keep us humble. And, if you look at what you were talking about, and see it from the point of view of a 4 year old, Elijah's question makes perfect sense! The problem is - many of us adults can no longer see the world like a 4 year old. Didn't Jesus say that the world belongs to the children and if we truly want to understand the kingdom of God then we have to become like children! Food for thought.

Related Posts with Thumbnails