Thursday, April 23, 2009

Thursday - Matt. 5:21-26


I have been thoroughly enjoying my times of study and meditation this week.  Thanks for all the great comments/questions you've been posting.  Keep them coming.  We only have one day left.  

As I studied the text, here's what I learned today:

I sat down with my Bible and an excellent book called Kingdom Ethics by Glen Stassen and David Gushee.  In the book, the authors break this text down into three parts: Traditional Righteousness (Matt. 5:21), Vicious Cycle (Matt. 5:22), and Transforming Initiative (Matt. 5:23-26).  

1.  Traditional Righteousness (v. 21)
Every good Jewish person knew that "do not murder" was one of the 10 commandments (Ex. 20:13).  That was the traditional benchmark for righteous living.

2.  Vicious Cycle (v. 22)
Jesus then addresses the inner attitude that leads to murder.  Anger.  Notice that he doesn't say, "don't be angry".  He simply explains the implications of unresolved anger.  Notice as well that he shows a progression when things are left unsettled between rivals.  It starts with 'judgement' between brothers (those who follow Jesus).  Then it may lead to the Sanhedrin (that's the Jewish court where disputes were settled).  The Sanhedrin is a step up from a grudge between two people and indicates the the anger has lead to an outright offense.  Finally, Jesus goes beyond the Jewish court to say that unresolved anger can, ultimately, lead someone to hell.  

As an aside: this progression from anger to murder can also be seen the O.T. in Deut. 19:11. 

3.  Transforming Initiative (v. 23-26)
This is the climax of the teaching.  In this last section, Jesus shows the way out of the downward spiral of anger.  He calls the offended party to take the reconciliatory initiative if the other party is unwilling.  This example was most beautifully illustrated by Jesus himself when He died on the cross for the very people who had offended him.

Okay, I know there are many, many examples of extremely complex situations where reconciliation might not be possible.  Just remember, this text is primarily about anger and settling disputes.  

I've said enough.  Now it's your turn.      

6 comments:

Bethany said...

I think as humans we like to justify our actions. I think we like to alleviate the guilt if any given sin by saying; “well this person did this, and that is MUCH worse than what I did.” I think Jesus was disclaiming that thought process. I think this passage is saying no matter what the sin is…big or small (whatever we humans decide is big and small anyway) it all ultimately separates us from God.

Luke said...

I generally don't stay angry at people. While I like things to be reconciled, I imagine that I have long forgotten something while some is still stewing about it. I wish people sometimes would communicate better so that we know how they feel

Also verse 23 makes me thing of all the mornings I come to church angry. Because for whatever reason, sunday mornings seem to be really tough to get going for young family's. Somehow we need to change that attitude.

Susan said...

Two thoughts stood out for me when I read this text. First, God takes sin seriously (while the world (myself included) is often guilty of taking it more lightly than we should. Secondly, Jesus places a high value on our relationships with others. We can't truly worship Him until we have settled issues with others, at least as much as it depends on us. (Even those people who really irritate and annoy you:)

The Gentile Rabbi said...

Bethany - It's sad that the compulsive need--to justify our actions by comparing ourselves to others-- is so prevalent.

Luke - Communication is the key, isn't it. Some need to talk things through. Others need to think it through, alone. That's the beautiful and complex dance we do as humans. That dance should be perfected in the home. Yet the home is precisely where the breakdown often occurs. That should horrify Jesus followers.
I think Jessie summed it up well yesterday when she wrote about taking advantage of those we love the most (sorry if I'm misquoting you Jessie)! We need to stop talking advantage of our family and start communicating better.

Susan - I like what you're saying. You're right, Jesus places such a high value on our relationship w/others that 6 of the 10 commandments address interpersonal issues. It's very hard to relate to God when we're carrying around a chip on our shoulder.

Marcia said...

The footnotes of my bible say,"Killing is a terible sin, but anger is a great sin too because it violates God's command to love." v21,22 It is so easy to become angry when we have a problem with someone. I agree that communication is vital so that we can resolve problems quickly before they start to heat up. Jesus says that we will be held accountable for our attitudes as well as our actions. Our attitudes toward others reflect our relationship with God. I guess I really haven't thought about it like that before. You can't hide anything from God!

Evelyn said...

My own devo was on bless your enemies Say often"God Bless ........" of any whom you find in disharmony with you. God says" leave to Me the necessary correcting or training; you must only desire joy and blessing for them. This I find interesting then is says," At present your prayers are that they should be taught and corrected. Oh! if My children would leave My work to Me and occupy themselves with the task I give them. Love, love, love.

Related Posts with Thumbnails