Thursday, June 11, 2009

Taking it easy


This week, I went to a pastor's gathering @ EBC with our interim lead pastor.

We heard from Phil Wagler. He's the lead pastor of a number of churches in Huron county. Their model of leadership and their ideas about ministry resonated with me.

One of the things that stood out to me was something Phil said about visionary leadership and the faithful opposition. As a visionary myself, I have come to appreciate those who oppose my ideas. I used to get uptight when others didn't see what I saw. Now I see how important nay sayers are in refining the vision. The church needs the dreamers and those who oppose because in the end, we're all better off working together.

I was also struck by the one year Sabbath Phil's church took. Yes, the entire church stopped all programs and only gathered for two reasons. First, they gathered Sunday mornings to worship and learn. Second, they gathered in intergenerational house groups throughout the week to grow together, study Scripture together, and serve together.

Phil reported that during their Sabbath year they saw more people come to Christ and be baptized than in any other prior year.

I wonder what might happen if HMC decided to take a Sabbath year?

4 comments:

bill said...

A wise man once told me that a church congregation is like a car...you need the gas...and the brake....a church without enthausiasm for change and renewal with not go anywhere....ie the gas....a church without opposition will flounder and fall away from doctorine and the truths of scripture...ie the brake...without both the church will never go anywhere....or will careen out of control.....just a thought.

vadess40 said...

Wow. Cool idea and an interesting one. Perhaps some churches should take a Sabbath. Perhaps HMC would experience a similar event but it would have to be on God's leading.

Scott the amateur said...

But if the church decides to take a Sabbath, what do we do with the Professional Christians? With no programs to run what are they going to do?

vadess40 said...

I guess the professional Christians will just have to do wha the "amateur Christians" do and perhaps find a way to work the way the Early Church did!

Related Posts with Thumbnails