Thursday, October 7, 2010

It Bugs Me

Many of you know that I try to keep my Thursday afternoons reserved for non-church activities.

So here's a play-by-play of this afternoon.

After playing a round of scream and run with my kids we rounded up insects for a science project. We started with some basic ones like a house fly and wood louse before moving on to some more exotic and potentially scary ones.

To our great surprise we were able to collect a dragonfly and a live wasp. (Don't ask me how we wrestled an angry wasp into a Ziploc bag without getting stung).

After being tagged and bagged, they went into the freezer for a couple of hours.

Then, voila, our very own bug collection--complete with labels and pins.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

O.K so my first reaction was EWWWWW and then a really crazy question....once they thawed out did they come back to life..? Yeah carzy question but you all know you were thinking it!!!!! interesting day my friend INTERESTING!

Tim Good said...

Sounds like a fun afternoon.

Although for a second (with morning brain and only two sips of coffee) I was trying to figure out what the tag "dsbm" stood for.

:)

Alanna Rusnak said...

I remember doing this as a kid. My sisters and I collected a bunch of dead bugs and pinned them to styrofoam. I kept it in my room. We had this huge bumble bee on there and one morning I woke up and it was turned around the other way and it totally freaked me out. I was sure it was going to get me. That was the end of our bug collection.

The Gentile Rabbi said...

They haven't come back to life yet but if they do the pins should keep them firmly in place.

Later, our cat brought her science project contribution to the door. It was a nice plump mouse. I considered adding it to the collection but couldn't think of a way to properly mount it.

Luke said...

you're not supposed to mount the mouse. that's when you do the dissection portion of the lesson.
Unless the cat has already started that part.

Related Posts with Thumbnails