Saturday, April 27, 2013

Mmmmm, pancakes in 2053

Today I planted some sugar maple saplings.  And, if they survive the cottontail rabbits and misguided toboggan runs, I might be able to tap them when I'm seventy-five or eighty.  Of course, I don't plan on living here then but it doesn't hurt to plan for future homeowners.

Besides hoping that future residents will tap them, here are some other reasons why I chose sugar maples:

1.  They are the quintessential Canadian tree.  (Doesn't the new Canadian $20 bill prove it!  Cough cough)
2.  I understand that they are one of the most shade tolerant hardwood trees.  I'm planting saplings under the branches of my Ash trees for replacement purposes.  Yes, I am preparing for imminent Ash tree death whenever this pest reaches my yard.
3.  Sugar Maples are not affected by juglone.  Juglone is released from the roots of Black Walnut trees into the soil and it's toxic to many varieties of plants and trees.  That's important to us because we have quite a few Black Walnut trees.
4.  They were available when I stopped by the Arbour Day tree sale today.

Now, if only it didn't take so long to go from this:



To this:


And this:

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails